There are different kinds of programming languages that helps in different ways. Some of them helps in the playing with the data base, some helps in designing the layout of the web application, some of them help to process the data taken from the user. However they all process the data either in the same browser and gives output by processing at the same time whereas some of the give output after processing in the server and displaying to the browser or the application.
(WODEHOUSE, 2017) states that Client Side Scripting Language is the programming language which controls and displays the response from the servers to the client. Such languages are used to interact with the components like text box, label, check box, and buttons and also to modify the CSS and HTML elements. Here are some of the client sides scripting language.
· Java Script
There are various advantages of Client side scripting languages which are as follows:
· Allow for more interactivity by immediately responding to users’ actions.
· Execute quickly because they do not require a trip to the server.
· May improve the usability of Web sites for users whose browsers support scripts.
· Can give developers more control over the look and behavior of their Web widgets.
· Can be substituted with alternatives (for example, HTML) if users’ browsers do not support scripts
· Are reusable and obtainable from many free resources.
Client side scripting languages does not only have advantages; it does have some disadvantages which are given as follows:
· Not all browsers support scripts, therefore, users might experience errors if no alternatives have been provided.
· Different browsers and browser versions support scripts differently, thus more quality assurance testing is required.
· More development time and effort might be required (if the scripts are not already available through other resources).
· Developers have more control over the look and behavior of their Web widgets; however, usability problems can arise if a Web widget looks like a standard control but behaves differently or vice-versa.
In Server side scripting, all the codes are firstly, checked in sever and then passed to user’s browser. Thus, no any PHP codes or script are visible to user. Users are only able to view information in their web browser. Some Server side scripting languages are as follows:
· ASP.Net in C#, C++, or Visual Basic
There are various advantages of Server side scripting languages which are as follows:
· It reduces the load on the user’s computer as it does not require plugins or browser scripting technology.
· We can use to dynamically create pages on the fly. New pages ca even be instantly created based on certain user interaction
· User can create one template for the entire website
· The site can use a content management system which makes editing simpler.
· Generally quicker to load than client-side scripting
· User is able to include external files to save coding.
· Scripts are hidden from view so it is more secure. Users only see the HTML output.
· User does not need to download plugins like Java or Flash.
Server side scripting languages does not only have advantages; it does have some disadvantages
Which are as follows:
· Many scripts and content management systems tools require databases in order to store dynamic data.
· It requires the scripting software to be installed on the server.
· The nature of dynamic scripts creates new security concerns, in some cases making it easier for hackers to gain access to servers exploiting code flaws.
Client-side scripting language
Server-side scripting language
Used when the users browser already has all the code.
Used to create dynamic pages
The web browser executes the client side scripting
The web browser executes the server side scripting
Cannot be used to connect to the databases on the web server
Used to connect to the databases that reside on the web server
Can’t access the file system that resides at the web server
Can access the file system residing at the web server
Response from a client side script is faster as compared to a server side script
Response from a server side script is slower as compared to a client side script
Server side interaction mechanism
PHP runs on server and the major functionality of PHP is to produce the HTML code which will be read by browser.
In PHP, code will be available only after the server interprets it.
Ease of usage
PHP is embedded only with HTML and PHP cannot be combined with XML.
Session and cookies
PHP is used to produce web pages on the go, ready and deploy databases, import the files available on the server and gain files of data from further domains.
PHP doesn’t execute within a browsers window.
PHP commonly uses MySQL as a database.
Most of the web developers learn PHP at beginning as it is easier. So the number of PHP developer is more due to which have more security threats.
They are very tough for the new comers and only the hardworking developer knows more about it. Since less number of the user has knowledge about it, there is low risk of security threats.
(Anon., 2017)states that website is the most popular means to make presence of the brand, product and service on the vast network of internet. Since there are more websites these days, hackers make target to the less secure website and have access to the data. So, websites are very risk in terms of security.
When we upload any web contents to the internet that is the open window between the network we have and the outer world. We need to make that window secured. There are different activities like server maintenance, web content updating, updating codes and application etc. that we do to maintain the service which ultimately defines the size of window we have that is open to the world.
Thus while developing website security concerns must be kept in mind. And some of the concerns to be considered while developing website are as follows:
(Anon., 2017)states that when we browse internet our history gets stored and we can see the logs of the sites we have visited. In the same manner there is session about the activities we have performed on the internet. The term session hijacking means to take over the session of the user by stealthily obtaining the session ID and using them as the authorized user.